Mary Butterworth Sampler Circa 1827, Birmingham's Arlington House (A0007585)Keith Dotson Photography
Black and white photograph of a hand-stitched sampler completed in 1827 by Mary Butterworth, seen in Birmingham's historic Arlington House. The sampler features a Bible verse at top, and the bottom reads, "Mary Butterworth's work Dec. 19th, 1827."
Stitched samplers like this were considered part of the education and training of young girls in the southern US prior to the Civil War.
NOTE: Available one size only
Archival Pigment Print on Baryta Surface Fine Art Paper:
- Museum quality, heavy-weight, white fine art paper
- Baryta coated with a surface similar to traditional darkroom prints
- Acid-free and lignin-free
- Very best archival quality, tonal contrast, and surface beauty
- Includes white border for easier framing
- Signed in the white space below the bottom right corner of the print
- Comes to you carefully packaged, without frame or top mat
- Ships in approximately 7-10 business days
- Free shipping inside the US
Alternative papers may be available.
Outside the U.S., contact us to arrange a purchase.